Dedicated to providing the most accurate diagnosis and optimal treatment of muscle disorders in horses
Dr. Valberg will be out of the lab from June 22 to July 1 2022. Samples received June 20 to July 1 will be read out on her return.
- The price for a muscle biopsy will increase to $300/sample June 1, 2022.
- Beginning July 1, 2022, we will only accept formalin fixed samples. We have perfected IHC stains for formalin-fixed tissue and can diagnose equine muscle diseases using these stains on a smaller sample
- Please use our new online submission form
- Frequently asked questions.
- Questions? email email@example.com
- Looking for results? Call 517 353 1683
Information on this site is intended for information purposes for veterinarians to guide in the diagnostic work up of muscle diseases. Owner-diagnosis and owner-treatment of horses is not recommended and may indeed be dangerous. Owners must consult their veterinarian before implementing any of the treatment recommendation described.
- Online Submission Form. Use this link, fill out the required fields and submit. You will receive a PDF of the completed form to print and submit with the biopsy.
- If online isn’t working use this PDF
- Pricing: $300/sample beginning June 1, 2022
- Shipping information
- Submitting information
- Obtain a 1/2-inch cube of semimembranosus or sacrocaudalis (if atrophy)
- Leave biopsy in air while you suture
- Optional, cut the biopsy in half across with width of the muscle (not lengthwise) and place in the cassette so the two halves can be sectioned simultaneously.
- Place in at least 130 mls (4.5 ounces) 10% neutral buffered formalin 3-5 min after you take the biopsy
- How to take a biopsy
- Turn around time: By Friday of the week following submission (10-14 days)
Note: We do not perform genetic testing: Please submit to the Veterinary Genetics Lab at UC Davis.