We have a number of active research and outreach projects and several pending proposals. Our current areas of active research and outreach include:
- Benchmarking antimicrobial usage (AMU) on dairy farms and determining how AMU is associated with dissemination of resistant pathogens and their genetic elements on farms.
- Development of antimicrobial stewardship team on individual farms.
- Impact of use of critically important antimicrobials on development and dissemination of resistance.
- Performing clinical trials to determine when antimicrobial usage should be used for treatment of mastitis.
- Identifying methods to enhance the ability of the cow to mount an effective immune response to infection, thus resulting in spontaneous bacteriological clearance.
- Understanding the role of endemic disease on response to bacterial infections.