The Reproductive Health Surveillance Program (RHSP) is led by Dr. Dalen Agnew, Michigan State University, and Dr. Anneke Moresco. Both Dr. Agnew and Dr. Moresco serve on the Reproductive Management Center's Advisory Board, ensuring close collaboration and communication regarding many RMC projects.
The RHSP conducts comprehensive pathologic examinations on reproductive tracts to detect deleterious effects associated with contraceptives. The results of these analyses are shared with the RMC and provide important information about contraceptive safety, infertility, and subfertility that is incorporated in the Contraception Recommendations. Moving forward, these findings will also provide input for recommendations on reproduction and infertility cases. The data are also required for FDA reports.
Complete reproductive tracts are needed from both contracepted and non-contracepted individuals of any age, male and female mammals, whether or not gross lesions are present (as many are microscopic), so that we can determine if diseases are spontaneous in a species or caused by the contraceptive. Tissue collected by ovariohysterectomy or castration or at necropsy are appropriate.
Option 1: Send whole tract to RHSP
- Please fill out the RHSP submission forms
- The reproductive tract is added to the RHSP archive
- If you would like a report, please send the tract to MSU DCPAH service. This requires both MSU and RHSP submission forms, and a fee will be charged.
Option 2: Share tissues with RHSP
- Trim a set of samples for RHSP
- half of each ovary,
- two sections of each uterine horn
- Send tissues with RSHP submission form
- Processed as option 1 (no fee charged by RHSP; no report provided)
Option 3: Share slides and/or report with RHSP
- Send tissues to your pathologist
- Request they send a recut of the reproductive tissue to RHSP
- Fill out RHSP submission form; email form to email@example.com
- Optional: forward a pathology report from your pathologist
SHIPPING: Wrap fixed tracts in formalin-soaked paper towels, enclose in a leak-proof plastic container and ship by ground US mail (Federal Express is not necessary) to:
Dr. Dalen Agnew
Attn: Histo Research
Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory
4125 Beaumont Rd.
Lansing, MI USA 48910-8104
Phone: 517-353-1683 | firstname.lastname@example.org