June 14, 2021 8:26 AM

Beginning Monday, June 14, 2021, the MSU Veterinary Medical Center will allow clients into the building with patients. Find details here.

Any patient presented to the MSU Small Animal Emergency Service will undergo an initial medical evaluation to determine if urgent care is needed, and whether hospitalization is warranted. The MSU Small Animal Emergency Service will only hospitalize patients that our clinicians consider to be unstable or to have life-threatening conditions.

Students are the lifeblood of the College, which is working to ensure that MSU is the top choice for prospective veterinary students.

The College is reinventing its DVM curriculum, creating a cost-effective, learner-centered education to produce career-ready, high-value graduates who earn the best salaries and serve as leaders in the profession.

Curriculum is only one piece of the puzzle. Financial constraints play an important role in every student’s decision. Scholarships can be the missing piece that brings a top student to MSU.

Larken Harper Checking Dog
Laken Harper, 2017 graduate of the College’s Veterinary Technology Program, received full funding through the Charles R. Fricke Endowed Scholarship for her undergraduate degree.

Last year, the College awarded more than $1.3 million in scholarships, with more than 75 percent of students receiving financial aid. While that is an impressive number, the aggregate cost of tuition is $17 million, meaning scholarships covered just 9 percent of students’ tuition needs.

$1.00 : $2.30

Every $1.00 in scholarship money replaces $2.30 in loan repayment. With an average debt load of $185,000, DVM students value every scholarship dollar they receive.

70 percent : 30 percent

Just 25 years ago, the University covered 70 percent of the cost of a veterinary medical education, and students paid the remaining 30 percent. Reduced state funding reversed that ratio. Today, students pay 70 percent of the costs of their education, while the University covers 30 percent.

Support for scholarships can make a difference for generations to come. Endowed scholarship gifts will help MSU remain a leader in veterinary medical education and bring top applicants to the College. While the original gift establishing an endowment remains intact, the interest income provides a revenue stream in perpetuity. Gifts will grow over time and increase the College’s capability to support students financially.

The College appreciates the thousands of alumni and friends who believe in its mission:

LEARN.  DISCOVER.  HEAL.  PROTECT.

For more information on scholarships, please contact the Development and Alumni Relations at 517-353-4937 or email development@cvm.msu.edu.

Also in this Issue:

The Dean’s Perspective Read More
Learn Read More
Greener Pastures

College and farm partner to improve veterinary education and the dairy industry of tomorrow.

Read More
Investing in the Future

MSU Donors’ Impact on the Dairy Industry.

Read More
Food Systems Fellowship Program

12 years of adding value to the student experience.

Read More
Not Just Medicine

Clerkship Series Teaches Professional Skills To Food Animal Veterinary Students.

Read More
Who will keep food safe? Spartans Will.

This Spartan is One of a Kind.

Read More
Experts Revamp Food Protection and Defense Course Read More
Online Continuing Education Emerges from the MSU Online Food Safety Program Read More
Discover Read More
Quality Milk Alliance

Prioritizes Mastitis Preventatives and Training.

Read More
Researching New Therapies and Preventatives

to Mediate GI-Triggered Autoimmune Disease.

Read More
Reducing Early-Life Adversity for Pig, Human Health Read More
Slowing Down Antibiotics and Speeding Up Herd Recovery Read More
Wake Up: Treating Tuberculosis by Stopping Dormancy

Treating Tuberculosis by Stopping Dormancy.

Read More
Heal Read More
Healing the Herd

Hospital Focuses on Prevention for Welfare and Food Safety.

Read More
Scholarships Empower

2017 Alumnus to Succeed in Dairy Herd Health Medicine.

Read More
Protect Read More
Food Safety and Public Health

Veterinarians Are Integral to the Process.

Read More
Defining and Fighting Food Fraud Read More
College Welcomes New PDI Chair, One Health Ambassador Read More
New curriculum offers opportunity for food animal students Read More
Class of 2021 Profile Read More
Alumni News Read More
In Memoriam Read More
Why Scholarships? Why Now?

Students are the lifeblood of the College, which is working to ensure that MSU is the top choice for prospective veterinary students.

Read More
Homecoming 2017 Read More
Celebration of Generosity 2017 Read More