LEON V. JONES (DVM ’40), of Spring Hill, Florida, died July 4, 2014.
MURRAY H. SHERBER (DVM ’41), of Encinitas, California, died September 5, 2014. Sherber began his career in the U.S. Army, later working for the Department of Agriculture. In 1954, he moved to Tulsa, Oklahoma, and established Ranch Acres Veterinary Hospital, where he practiced small animal medicine for almost 40 years prior to retirement. Sherber volunteered with the American Red Cross and Tulsa Legal Aid.
GUY RUSSELL CLUGSTON (DVM ‘42), of Mercer Island, Washington, died July 20, 2014. Clugston served in the US Army from 1942-1946 as a 1st Lieutenant in the US Army Medical Department. After 1946 he worked as a veterinarian in Detroit, Michigan until his retirement in 1990.
ALLAN A. MARKS (DVM ’42), of Los Angeles, California, died September 23, 2014. Marks, a WWII Army Veterinary Core veteran, founded Northwest Animal Hospital in Detroit, the first free-standing small animal veterinary hospital. In 1962, Marks moved to Los Angeles, California, and purchased Washington Dog and Cat Hospital. He sold the practice in 1983 to his youngest son and MSU alumnus, Dr. Jeffrey Marks (DVM ’80). Marks was involved in mentoring and continuing education, and was a member and supporter of Veterinarians for Israel.
ROBERT L. BYRAM (DVM ’46), of Juno Beach, Florida, died September 14, 2014. He owned a mixed animal practice in Rockford, Michigan, prior to retirement in 1985. Byram was a member of the Michigan VMA and a former member of the Rockford City Council. A veteran of the US Army, he was also a member of the American Legion.
ROBERT G. SCHIRMER, SR. (MS ‘52), of Williamston, Michigan, died October 16, 2014. Schirmer was a long-time faculty member at the MSU College of Veterinary Medicine Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences and served as chair of the department from 1979 to 1987. He received his doctorate of veterinary medicine from Cornell University in 1946. Schirmer was committed to the education of future veterinarians, and established the Robert G. Schirmer Post-Doctoral Fellowship to support students in either Large or Small Animal Clinical Sciences. He received the MSU CVM Distinguished Faculty Award in 1990.
ARTHUR E. HALL (DVM ’54), of Elkhart, Indiana, died December 24, 2014. From 1970 until his retirement in 1993, he worked for the Department of Agriculture. During that time, Hall served as veterinarian-in-charge in Indiana and Illinois, was program chief of field operations for foreign animal diseases, and served as acting director of the northern region of the USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service. Earlier in his career, he was in mixed animal practice in Garrett, Indiana, taking over from his father, the late Dr. Frederick A. Hall. He was a member of the Indiana Wildlife Federation and was honored with its Water Conservationist-of-the-Year Award in 2001 and Ginn Award in 2009. Active in civic life, he was a past president of the Garrett-Keyser-Butler School Board. Hall served in the US Army during World War II, receiving several bronze stars and other medals for his service.
ARTHUR A. JARVIS (DVM ‘58), of Withee, Wisconsin, died May 21, 2014. Jarvis resided in the Owen-Withee area of Wisconsin with his wife, Waverly. A veteran of the US Air Force, Jarvis was active in his community as a member of the Nazareth Lutheran Church, Owen-Withee Lions Club, Owen Masonic Lodge, and Owen American Legion. He also served on the Owen-Withee School Board and State Bank of Withee Board.
THOMAS ALLAN MILLER (DVM ‘60), of Murrysville, Pennsylvania, died September 22, 2014. Miller was owner and practitioner at Milford Large Animal Clinic in Milford, Indiana, for more than 35 years, and was a lifetime Honor Roll member of the American Veterinary Medical Association. Miller and his wife, Violet, moved to Murrysville, Pennsylvania, after his retirement in 1997. Among being very active in his community, Miller served as a Master Sergeant in the Fifth Army Area during the Korean War, and was awarded the Bronze Combat Star for his service.
JOHN A. BLAIR (DVM ’62), of Brentwood, Tennessee, died July 14, 2014. Blair owned a small animal practice in West Lafayette, Indiana, practicing for 42 years prior to retirement in 1999. He authored the book I Never Went to Work.
ANN MCCOY BECK (DVM ’68), of Johns Island, South Carolina, died August 31, 2014. Beck opened Sea Islands Veterinary Hospital on James Island with her business partner, Dr. Keith Bryan, in 1974, offering wildlife treatment services. She received the inaugural Humanitarian Award in 1987 from the South Carolina Association of Veterinarians.
JAMES D. McKEAN (MS ‘73), of Ames, Iowa, died April 10, 2014. McKean earned his doctor of veterinary medicine degree at the University of Illinois in 1970. He was a professor at the Iowa State University College of Veterinary Medicine, serving as swine extension veterinarian and associate director of the Iowa Pork Industry Center. McKean began his career as a technical services veterinarian for the Michigan Farm Bureau in Lansing before earning his master’s degree in veterinary pathology from Michigan State University, and then went on to serve as extension veterinarian at Iowa State University while subsequently earning his law degree from Drake University in 1988. McKean helped develop the National Pork Board Pork Quality Assurance Program and the Swine Welfare Assurance Program and assisted in the merging of those programs into the PQA Plus Certification Program. The IPPA named McKean the 1985 Honorary Master Pork Producer, he was inducted into the Iowa Feeder Pig Hall of Fame in 1986, and he was named Extension Veterinarian of the Year in 1988 and Food Hygiene Veterinarian of the Year in 1989. In 1999, he received the AASV Howard Dunne Memorial Award for his contributions and service to the association and to the swine industry. McKean received the Distinguished Service Award in 2008 from Pork Checkoff, a program of the National Pork Board, and in 2012, the NIAA honored him with the President’s Service Award.