Lead poisoning is a potentially serious condition that calls for veterinary attention.
Things to watch for:
- Behaviorial changes
- Poor appetite
- Extreme anxiety
- Belly/stomach ache
These changes may develop over time. If animals display any of these signs, please seek veterinary care.
Animals can come into contact with lead in a variety of ways:
- Drinking water
- Using improperly glazed ceramic food or water bowls
- Eating or licking paint chips
- Eating lead, like bullets, sinkers and golf balls
Diagnosis and Treatment:
Lead poisoning could be a serious condition.
If you suspect your pet has been exposed to lead, contact a veterinarian to talk about testing and treatment.
Pet safety tips for dealing with water that has lead in it:
- If your water has been tested and the lead level exceeds 150 ppb, only provide bottled water to your pet
- If your water has been tested and the lead level does not exceed 150 ppb, give your pet bottled or filtered water to drink
- Give your pet bottled or filtered water to drink
- Use bottled or filtered water when making your pet’s food
- Keep the toilet seat down!
- Do not allow pets to drink out of an unflitered water source
- Remember, this applies to all types of animals
Toxicities are reportable to the State Veterinarian’s Office. Any veterinarian that suspects or has confirmed a case of toxicity, is to report the case to the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development by calling 1-800-292-3939.